Pacific Chorale plans to hold public in-person auditions in Orange County, California in mid-August 2021 for entry in the 2021-2022 season. Audition dates, location, and the audition application will be made available after the July 13 information session. Please find specific details below for audition and (as applicable) pre-screening requirements. For the upcoming August audition cycle, please note the following initial requirements:
- Applicants interested in auditioning for staff (paid) Chorale positions will be required to submit a prescreening recording.
- Applicants auditioning for volunteer (unpaid) Chorale positions will not need a prescreening and will be welcome to sign up for available audition times.
- All singers invited to join the Pacific Chorale roster for the 2021-2022 season will be required to show proof of Covid-19 vaccination.
- Thank you for your audition interest with Pacific Chorale. We appreciate your extended patience while we navigate the complex return to choral singing.
For All Singers:
- One aria/art song of your choosing, not to exceed 3 minutes in length. Plan to bring a copy of your music for our pianist.
- Short sight-singing exercise(s) upon request.
- Rhythmic exercise(s) upon request.
- An assigned excerpt, linked here, from Handel’s MESSIAH.
For Singers Auditioning for Paid Staff Positions:
**Singers who plan to audition for Volunteer Positions may disregard this section.
An assigned excerpt, linked here, from Stravinsky’s SYMPHONY OF PSALMS.
- You are to prepare your part (soprano, alto, tenor, or bass) of the fugue subject between rehearsals 5 and 10.
- You will sing this section unaccompanied; the tempo will be the eighth note=60.
- You will be given a pitch on the piano; if you prefer, you may bring your own tuning fork.
Pre-Screening Requirements For Staff Positions:
**Singers who plan to audition for Volunteer Positions only do not need to submit a pre-screening and will be welcome to sign up for audition times when the application is made available
DUE NO LATER THAN 11:00 PM FRIDAY, JULY 30.
- Applicants for staff positions should submit pre-screening recordings of two vocal works: an aria and a contrasting piece. Recordings may be unaccompanied.
- Audio-video recordings must be submitted for prescreening. Audio-only files will not be reviewed.
- The recordings should be unedited and presented without added digital reverb.
- Your two pieces may be submitted as two separate, but complete takes. Do not splice your recordings.
- A professional recording setting and/or equipment is not necessary for this pre-screening stage (for example, filming at home on a phone or computer will suffice).
- Submitted recordings should have been made recently, at least during the 2021 calendar year.
THE UPLOAD LINK FOR YOUR PRE-SCREENING FILES WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE WITH THE AUDITION APPLICATION AFTER THE JULY 13 INFORMATION SESSION.
Applicants invited for an in-person audition will be notified no later than Wednesday, August 4, 2021.