Pacific Chorale plans to hold public in-person auditions in Orange County, California in February 2023 for admission into the ensemble’s 2023-2024 season. Applicants for Volunteer and Staff Positions are welcome in the Alto, Tenor, and Bass sections. Our Soprano section is currently well balanced. At this time, we will not hear new Sopranos for entry into the section.
Auditions will be scheduled on first-applied, first-served basis, with applications closing if audition capacity has been reached within a given section. We anticipate record audition interest this cycle and encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
If you have questions after reviewing the information on this page, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Wednesday, December 21, 2022: 2023-2024 Audition Requirements & Application Posted
- Wednesday, January 25, 2023 (5:00pm): Application Deadline for all Applicants (or until section capacity is reached)
- Wednesday, February 1, 2023: Prescreening Results and Audition Schedules Confirmed
- Wednesday, February 15, 2023: Audition Session #1 | 7:00-10:30pm | Newport Beach, CA
- Wednesday, February 18, 2023: Audition Session #2 | 9:30am-6:30pm | Fullerton, CA
Dates and times are subject to change.
Decisions & Next Steps
- Mid-March 2023: Audition Decisions shared with all Applicants
- Early April 2023: Commitment Deadline for Admitted Singers
Note: A COVID-19 vaccination mandate has been in place for all current Pacific Chorale members since April 2021. This policy has included the initial (primary) vaccination plus one booster and was extended to cover the current 2022-23 season. We are evaluating the vaccination policy for 2023-24 to determine whether or not proof of vaccination will continue for the ensemble. An announcement on this matter is forthcoming this winter.
Audition Requirements for All Singers
- One classical art song or aria of your choosing, not to exceed 3 minutes in length. Plan to bring a copy of your music for our pianist.
- Short sight-singing exercise(s) upon request to evaluate your ability to read intervals and rhythmic patterns on sight.
- Rhythmic exercises upon request.
- For all auditioning singers: An assigned excerpt, here, from Handel’s Messiah.
- For Staff Applicants only, an additional assigned excerpt, here, from Stravinsky’s Symphony of Psalms. Singers who audition for Volunteer Positions should not prepare the Stravinsky excerpt.
- Staff applicants are to prepare your part (alto, tenor, or bass) of the fugue subject between rehearsal 5 and 10.
- You will sing this section unaccompanied; the tempo will be eighth note=60.
- You will be given a starting pitch on the piano; if you prefer, you may bring your own tuning fork.
Additional Pre-Screening Requirements for Staff Applicants Only
This section pertains only to applicants interested in paid part-time employee Staff Positions. Applicants for Volunteer Positions may disregard this pre-screening section. To view the 22-23 season Staff Singer job description, click here.
DUE NO LATER THAN 5:00pm WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 25, 2023
Applicants for Staff Positions must submit pre-screening recordings of two vocal works: a classical aria and a contrasting piece of your choice. Recording requirements:
- Audio-video recordings must be submitted for the staff prescreening requirement. Audio-only files will not be reviewed.
- Recordings may be unaccompanied.
- The recordings must be unedited and presented without added digital reverb. Your two pieces may be submitted as two separate, but complete takes. Do not splice your recordings.
- A professional recording setting and/or professional equipment is not necessary for this pre-screening stage (for example, filming at home on a phone or computer will suffice).
- Recordings should have been made recently, between September 2022 and January 2023.
- Your prescreening repertory choice may be repeated at the live audition should you pass the prescreening stage.
The upload link for your prescreening files is available with the audition application.
Pre-screening applicants invited for in-person staff auditions will be notified on Wednesday, February 1.
About Pacific Chorale
Pacific Chorale is a diverse, dedicated, and enthusiastic group of singers, who create an acclaimed ensemble that performs on world-class stages with some of the nation’s leading orchestras. Our repertoire is extensive and ranges from choral/orchestral masterworks to a cappella treasures and world-premiere compositions. We invite you to consider joining the GRAMMY Award-Winning Pacific Chorale!
Why Sing with Pacific Chorale? Hear directly from our singers in this quick video:
- What kind of singers do you look for?
- Although it is important for Pacific Chorale members to possess a high level of musical and vocal ability, a conscientious, diligent, and punctual work ethic is also valued. Experience in ensemble singing is essential.
- How long will my audition last?
- Auditions are approximately 10 minutes in length.
- Where do audition sessions take place?
- Sessions will take place in Orange County’s Fullerton-Brea area and/or Newport Beach.
- Will you schedule virtual auditions?
- At this time, we will not accept virtual auditions in lieu of live auditions.
Pacific Chorale Singer FAQs
- How can I learn more about Pacific Chorale?
- When are rehearsals?
- Rehearsals are regularly held on most Mondays between September and May every season. Depending on the program, additional rehearsals may be added during the week/weekend as schedules permit. Weeknight rehearsals are generally held from 7:15 to 10:00pm. Performance weeks see additional nightly rehearsals from Tuesday through Friday (with a performance on Saturday).
- Where are rehearsals?
- Rehearsals are held in several Orange County locations, regularly in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa, CA.
- How many performances does the Chorale present each year?
- Pacific Chorale’s annual concert schedule typically includes 6-7 self-produced season performances and numerous guest appearances with ensembles such as Pacific Symphony and the LA Phil.
- Scheduling & Roster Assignments
- Several months before an upcoming season, singers submit schedule availability based on the Chorale’s season calendar of rehearsals and concerts. Submitting full availability for a program does not guarantee assignment to that program. Performance opportunities for singers are determined on a per-program basis, where individual singer availability is weighed against artistic need and singer performance.
- Do I have to sing every concert?
- Chorale members are typically required to sing at least one program each season to maintain active membership.
- Absence policy
- Once assigned to roster programs, our absence policy is flexible, depending more on the concert program, number of rehearsals, and musical difficulty. For instance, planned absences would not be allowed for a program that only has two or three rehearsals. On the other hand if a large program has eight or more rehearsals, one to two planned absences are allowed depending on the circumstances. Any absences from dress rehearsals and performances, barring family emergencies or illness, are not permitted.
- Do Pacific Chorale members pay dues?
- Pacific Chorale singers pay no dues as members of the ensemble. There is also no music deposit fee, however singers may be asked to recover the costs of lost or damaged music that is loaned by the Chorale.
If you have questions after reviewing this information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.